I want to be emailed about offers, events, and updates from The Independent. Could you read our privacy notice?
Breakfast at dinner is a tradition. it is essential to be observed at least once per week and it should be protected at all times.
This “most important meal of the day” is also one of the most debated debates about the best foods to consume, how often you should drink it, and whether you should consume it all at all. In response, I say: damn it! Enjoy whatever you like, anytime you like.
As a savory-only supporter, I plan on eating only a few sweet treats at dinner; however, you can make crepes of mushrooms or toast filled with toppings or omelets, such as the one below. In August, the season when peppers, tomatoes, and courgettes, as well as all the other bright things, are at their peak and most vibrant, making a summer garden breakfast omelette is a great option to begin and end your day with a savoury note.
To celebrate the bounty of summer and other dishes in this week’s menu, include a stir-fry made with courgette in season and sweetcorn and sweetcorn, creating an easy, delicious, and nutrient-rich meal that can be enjoyed daily. Light and refreshing are this succulent bruschetta chicken as well as the honey-lime pork chops grilled served with mango salsa which are a celebration of the flavors of summer. However, they are not limited to just the time of year.
- For a heartier dish, one-pan rice with shrimp and salsa verde is simple to prepare and packs a punch of flavor, and, perhaps most important, it saves washing up.
Sweetcorn and zingy courgette noodle stir-fry
This recipe perfectly combines tender courgette, fresh sweetcorn, and tasty noodles; all served with a delicious sauce. Easy to make and packed with vibrant, fresh ingredients, this recipe is perfect for those looking for a flavorful, healthy, nutritious dish.
- Cook the egg noodles according to the instructions on the package. After cooking, drain them and put them aside.
- Mix with the soy sauce, lime juice, brown sugar, and some black pepper in a small mixing bowl. Discard the sauce.
- The vegetable oil is heated in an enormous wok or frying pan on medium-high heat.
- Incorporate the minced garlic, diced red chili, and grated ginger. Stir-fry for approximately 1 minute or so until fragrant.
- Spiralize or julienne the courgettes into the pan. Stir fry for about 2 minutes or until they soften, but they will still have some crunch.
- Incorporate the sweetcorn kernels into the skillet and cook for another 2 minutes while stirring.
- The cooked noodles are added to the pan. Pour the sauce you have prepared over the noodles and vegetables.
- Mix everything gently to ensure the veggies and noodles are evenly coated in the sauce. Cook for another 2 to 3 minutes, allowing flavors to blend.
- Check the seasoning and adjust it by adding salt if needed. Remember that soy sauce is already very salty, so you should be careful.
- Remove the pan from the flame and garnish with freshly chopped coriander.
- Divide the sweetcorn and courgette stir-fry noodles between two plates.
- Drink with wedges of lime to serve to give it a more zesty kick.
Bruschetta chicken delight
An accessible summer showpiece that doesn’t take any time at all
This dish blends succulent grilled chicken and traditional bruschetta toppings’ zesty and fresh flavor. The mingling of juicy tomatoes, fragrant basil, and tangy balsamic sauce served over tender chicken breasts makes an elegant summer meal guaranteed to impress.