This Cucumber Mango Salad is my favorite summer dish. This salad perfectly combines sweet, sour and spicy flavors with a dash of cucumber freshness for a refreshing side dish. The salad keeps well in the fridge, with the flavors merging even more as the cucumber marinates in the dressing. If it isn’t eaten, it will keep for three days in the fridge.
What kind of CUCUMBER SHOULD YOU USE?
English cucumbers have been my favorite lately. They have few to no seeds and are fresh in my local grocery store. However, conventional cucumbers work just as well and are usually half the price. If you are using conventional cucumbers, it is a good idea to remove the seeds before cutting them into half-rounds unless they are a problem. 🙂
HOW SPACIOUS IS THIS CUCUMBER MANGO SANTA SALAD?
Cucumber Mango Salad may not be spicy enough for you, but your taste buds might disagree. The amount of crushed red bell pepper can adjust the salad’s spiciness. You can make the dressing milder if you have sensitive skin.
Do I have to use rice vinegar?
I would not recommend substituting another type of vinegar. The rice vinegar has a mild, light flavor. The dressing is balanced to complement this particular type of vinegar. Rice vinegar can be found in almost all major supermarkets in the United States. It is either in the vinegar aisle or in the international ingredients section.
WHAT SHOULD I SERVE WITH CUCUMBER MANGO SALAD?
This salad is great with Sticky Ginger Soy Glazed Chicken and Sesame Tempeh Bowls. Easy Sesame Chicken or One-Pot Teriyaki Chicken & Rice.
P.S. P.S. – If you like this cucumber man salad, you might also enjoy my Spicy Pineapple Cucumber Salad
CUCUMBER MANGO SANTA SALAD
This light and refreshing Cucumber mango salad is made with fresh cucumber and tropical mango.
Prep time: 15 minutes
Total Time: 15 minutes
Servings: Each approximately 1 cup
- 1 mango ($0.59)
- 1 cucumber (1.29)
- 1/4 cup rice vinegar ($0.48)
- 2 Tbsp of white sugar ($0.04)
- 1/8 tsp salt ($0.01)
- 1/8 teaspoon red pepper flakes ($0.02)
- To remove any wax or other residues, wash the cucumber thoroughly. You can make decorative designs by peeling alternating strips from the peel (see step-by-step photos below). Cut the cucumber in half-rounds.
- Slice the mango into slices by first removing the rounded “cheeks”. Then, use a sharp paring blade to cut the flesh into strips. Use a spoon to scoop out the flesh (see photos below). Slice the mango in half to make them more like the cucumber slices.
- Next, combine the sugar, vinegar, salt, and red pepper flakes into a small bowl. Stir the sugar until it is fully dissolved.
- Place the mango and cucumber in a large bowl. Then, drizzle the dressing over the top. Mix all ingredients and coat cucumbers and mangoes with the dressing. Serve immediately, or let cool in the refrigerator until you are ready to eat. Mix well before serving to distribute the dressing.
Serving Size: 1 Cup Calories : 66.93 Kcal Carbohydrates : 16.8 G Protein: 0.93 G Fat: 0.28g Sodium : 75.88 mg Fiber : 1.23G